Clean. Simple. Wholesome.
From flavorful sauces and fresh-tasting juices to smooth organic yogurts, consumers want products made from a few simple, familiar and recognizable ingredients.
Delivering clean and simple labels can present many challenges. Your products have to retain the just-right texture, shelf-life stability and nutritional power consumers have come to expect from foods and beverages. So how do you combine top-notch functionality with clean and simple formulations?
At our Ingredion Idea Labs™ innovation centers, we collaborate with you to find the best solutions for your applications. Offer satisfying snack bars enhanced with plant-based proteins or bright beverages colored by fruit and vegetable juices. Your large-scale products can look, taste and feel homemade, with labels that set consumer minds at ease. Our clean label formulation expertise is the result of years of research on the capabilities of nature-based ingredients, born of consumer research and deep analysis of market trends.
Making less more
We have all tasted natural foods that lacked one essential ingredient: deliciousness. Ingredion’s global sensory program and expert sensory panels help you identify the exact textures and sensory attributes that consumers want. Clean label formulations benefit from our applications knowhow and CULINOLOGY® expertise in making clean and simple foods and beverages tastier than ever—even gluten-free and egg-free products.
At the intersection of our wide ingredient portfolio, our deep applications knowhow and our eyes ever trained on cost optimization, you can create better products that stand out on the shelf with clean and simple labels. At Ingredion Idea Labs™ innovation centers, we are looking holistically at simple, nature-based ingredients and seeking greater capabilities from every clean label ingredient we make.
A clean and simple world
Replace the unfamiliar with the familiar, modified with native, and feature minimally processed ingredients—in everything from bakery, snacks and baby foods, to dairy, dressings and prepared foods. Working with Ingredion, you will be using exciting new ingredients like fruit and vegetable purees and concentrates from recently acquired Kerr Concentrates—for unique colors and sweetness in smoothies, beverages, desserts and foods with fresh appeal.
Here are a few of the other breakthrough products in the clean and simple world.
- In response to the rapidly growing demand for ingredients as close as possible to nature, we now offer extracts, purees, juices and more that are naturally derived from fruits and vegetables. Create products made from some of the most naturally based and loved food ingredients, from strawberries and raspberries to beets, carrots and celery. These multi-functional ingredients can provide color, flavor, rich texture and nutritional content all formulated with simple ingredients and no additives (visit www.kerrconcentrates.com for more insights).
- NOVATION® functional native starches debuted 20 years ago as the clean and simple movement started in Europe. In North America, we offer more than 25 NOVATION® starches that are derived from corn, tapioca, potato and rice. Our portfolio includes five organic options. Designed to texturize, thicken and stabilize your products, they carry simple ingredient listings such as “corn starch.” The Non-GMO Project in the U.S. has verified more than 15 NOVATION® starches, and all meet global third-party standards for non-GMO.
- Flour is one of the most recognized and label-friendly ingredients in the world. Yet you need consistent performance, the ability to withstand processing, a long shelf-life for the finished product, and above all, great textures and flavors that last. With our HOMECRAFT® functional flours, including tapioca, rice and pulse-based flours, you can offer the simple labels consumers prefer while maintaining all texture and functionality crucial to the success of your products—from crispy breadings to rich sauces and gravies.
- Our vegetable-based VITESSENCE™ pulse proteins are in line with several of the most in-demand label and nutritional trends. They offer the boost of protein many consumers are seeking while supporting vegan, non-GMO and gluten-free labels. What’s more, they require far less water than animal-based proteins and are much more sustainable. With all these factors combined, it’s no wonder the United Nations named 2016 the International Year of Pulse. We expect them to become an even more indispensable part of your ingredient toolbox in the future.
- Deliver just-right sweetness while reducing sugar with plant-based ENLITEN® stevia sweetners. When you can offer consumers deliciously sweet products with less sugar and clean simple labels, you win in the market.
- Q-NATURALE® high-efficiency emulsifier supports beverages with natural colous and flavors—while delivering several times the oil load of traditional emulsifiers.
We offer a wide range of non-GMO ingredients, including starches, flours, sweeteners, emulsifiers, hydrocolloids and nutrition ingredients, all meeting third-party non-GMO standards and requirements of the countries in which Ingredion operates and supplies ingredients.