Gluten-free that’s so good that you can’t tell it’s gluten-free
Create the delicious, gluten-free products consumers really want. As the demand for gluten-free grows, so should the ability to create gluten-free products that taste and look like the “real” thing – and that have built-in nutritional goodness.
88.9% of consumers initially purchase gluten-free when they feel they might have or have been diagnosed with celiac disease/intolerance or non-celiac gluten sensitivity.2
Gluten is an important component of taste and texture in traditional food products due to its unique functional properties. And removing it causes unique formulation challenges, from poor dough elasticity and reduced product shelf-life to dry, crumbly, grainy textures and reduced protein, nutrients and fiber. The good news is that you can create gluten-free rolls, muffins and other products with a perfectly open and coarse crumb grain, with the nutritional benefits that are often lacking.
1Ingredion proprietary research, Mintel Consulting, April 2016
2 Ingredion proprietary gluten-free consumer survey, Beyond Celiac, 2016
Close the texture divide between gluten-free and traditional baked goods
When ingredients are removed in your formulations, our proprietary, data driven DIAL-IN® Texture Technology and DIAL-IN® Sweetness let you optimize texture and sweetness profiles to match the originals. You also can leverage this approach to create signature textures or match a competitive target – so your gluten-free products can retain a similar texture, taste and appearance to what’s provided by wheat gluten.
Create the eating experience consumers want. Solve gluten-free texture challenges including:
- Reduced volume
- Lack of bite or structure, uneven cell structure
- Dry, crumbly, grainy texture
- Poor crust color and development
- Grainy flavor
Extend shelf-life stability and improve processability
To make a product that consumers want to come back for again and again, the process often starts with the dough and its elasticity and viscosity. Without it, you can end up with smaller volumes, large holes in the structure, dense or rubbery crumbs, product collapse and more. By controlling moisture, you can increase shelf-life and improve the machinability and processability of your gluten-free products – making it simpler for you to manufacture the products your customers want.
Make gluten-free mean more – nutritionally
You can bring on-trend nutritional benefits to your gluten-free products while maintaining the taste and texture your consumers demand. Deliver in-demand protein enhancement with pulse proteins and flours. Or enhance fiber with resistant starches, dietary fibers and prebiotic fibers. And with our texturizers, non-caloric sweeteners and drop-in flour replacement systems, you won’t have to rely as heavily on flavor maskers, like sugar and fat to make your products taste great.
Expertise that brings it together
You have a world of innovation at your hands to support your gluten-free objectives. Ingredion’s experts canshow you how to use new clean label or modified starches, flours, pulse proteins, fibers, hydrocolloids and texturizers to create gluten-free products with all the appeal of gluten-containing products.
- Benchmarking wheat-containing and gluten-free products
- Identifying gaps using Descriptive Sensory Analysis
- Developing solutions to minimize the gaps
- Consumer insights to define your goals
- Bakery technical experts and CULINOLOGY® teams for formulation development
Find ingredients for winning gluten-free baked goods
Address the trends and achieve the texture of products that contain gluten in those that don’t—with Ingredion Idea Labs™ science-based problem solving.
Bulk flour systems
- Replace bulk flour with our clean label HOMECRAFT® Create GF 10 and HOMECRAFT® Create GF 20 flours for moist, non-gritty texture in baked goods and snacks.
- Formulate with PRECISA® Bake GF modified bulk flour system in dough systems like breads, rolls, pizza, tortillas and flatbreads.
- Replace wheat flour in specific applications, including bread, pasta and tortillas, with PENTECH® GF TTB food starch formulated system.
Bulk flour components
- Use HOMECRAFT® Pulse flours to provide a soft, tender and moist crumb.
- Replace bulk wheat flour with clean label PENPURE® 60 potato starch or PENPURE® 37 rice starch as a bulk flour component.
- Deliver a clean label, clean flavor profile in instant or cook-up versions with HOMECRAFT® Create 390 functional tapioca flour or HOMECRAFT® Create 860 functional rice flour.
- VITESSENCE™ Pulse proteins deliver in-demand protein enhancement and improve structure and texture of the product (rather than to provide up-front viscosity of the dough/batter systems). They can also replace animal-based protein such as egg whites and whey concentrates in a gluten-free formula.
- Texturize with the pregelatinized HOMECRAFT® Express 390 tapioca flour, the cold water swelling NOVATION® 4600 functional food starch, or PENPLUS® 2140 modified potato starch for instant batter/dough viscosity, to provide dough cohesion, stabilize crumb cell structure, improve freeze/thaw stability and reduce water mobility.
- Control moisture and provide structure with gums, visit our gums page to learn more.
- Boost the fiber content of gluten-free foods without changing taste, appearance or processing with HI-MAIZE® resistant starch and VERSAFIBE™ dietary fiber.