Deliver blood sugar benefits
Create products that today’s health- and nutrition-conscious consumers will reach for with HI-MAIZE® resistant starch—the most researched and clinically validated ingredient for blood sugar health. One in three consumers are extremely or very concerned about high blood sugar and type 2 diabetes, and 72% of them report being interested in buying or using a food if it could help them manage blood sugar levels1.
At Ingredion, we’re proud to be at the forefront of health management. Our petition with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to allow a type 2 diabetes risk reduction claim for our heavily researched HI-MAIZE® resistant starch high-amylose-corn resistant starch was approved, resulting in a qualified health claim that will enable food manufacturers to communicate the relationship between high-amylose maize resistant starch and a reduced risk of Type 2 diabetes on the packages of conventional foods.*
HI-MAIZE® resistant starch helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels and supports balanced energy by reducing the glycemic response to foods and improving carbohydrate metabolism. It is a white fiber that can be seamlessly incorporated into breads, baked goods, snacks and pasta, replacing up to 20% of flour. It does not impact taste, texture, color or processing of the formulations.
Join us at Ingredion Idea Labs™ innovation centers and put some of the world’s most rigorous science-based problem-solvers to work to protect your consumers’ health.
* FDA intends to consider exercising enforcement discretion for the following health claims:
- “High-amylose maize resistant starch may reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes. FDA has concluded that there is limited scientific evidence for this claim.”
- “High-amylose maize resistant starch, a type of fiber, may reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes. FDA has concluded that there is limited scientific evidence for this claim.”
1 US Health Trends Report 2015, Health Focus International. Ingredion proprietary research
NOT ALL RESISTANT STARCHES ARE THE SAME
More than two decades of research and over 70 human clinical trials have validated the efficacy of HI-MAIZE® resistant starch in helping maintain healthy blood sugar levels and helping balance energy. By formulating with HI-MAIZE® resistant starch, you have the opportunity to tap into this growing consumer demand and add claims to your products, such as:
- High-amylose maize resistant starch may reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes. FDA has concluded that there is limited scientific evidence for this claim
- Helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- Supports energy balance
- Promotes digestive health
- Good source of fiber
- Excellent source of fiber
Derived from proprietary high amylose corn hybrids produced through traditional plant breeding, HI-MAIZE® resistant starch contains approximately 60% resistant starch, which is not digested in the small intestine and acts as a dietary fiber. It also contains approximately 40% slowly-digestible starch, which helps provide sustained energy. Because it retains its natural granule structure, it is a Type 2 Resistant Starch (RS2). HI-MAIZE® resistant starch is a clean label ingredient and is non-GMO Project® Verified.
ENJOY BENEFITS WITH FUNCTIONALITY
HI-MAIZE® resistant starch helps ensure that you don’t compromise on taste, texture, color or processing when formulating high fiber products with demonstrated health benefits. It has important attributes that distinguish it from other insoluble fibers:
- Small particle size
- White color
- Bland flavor
- Low water holding capacity
- In bread loafs it provides:
- Higher loaf volume when compared to other fibers
- Fine, homogenous crumb structure
- White crumb color, comparable to no-fiber white breads
- Ease of handling and improved machinability
Today’s consumers want nutritious foods and supplements that they can feel good about. You can help them find the nutritious products they seek with HI-MAIZE® resistant starch. Easy to use and well tolerated, it can be easily incorporated in many products to go beyond basic nutrition including:
- Breads, bagels
- Bake mixes
- Cookies and crackers
- Sweet baked goods
- Snacks and bars (nutritional, granola)
- Nutritional shake mixes
Answer demand for glycemic health products with HI-MAIZE® resistant starch.
HI-MAIZE® 260 resistant starch, non-GMO
Non-chemically modified food starch based on high amylose corn that is available through Ingredion Incorporated’s TRUETRACE® Identity Preserved Program for non-GM products.
HI-MAIZE® 260 resistant starch
Non -chemically modified food starch based on high amylose corn.